I am just back from my Christmas and New year holidays and I feel rejuvenated. This trip was special as I planned a healthy trip this time. Our health routine at home always goes on toss as we go out of our home. But not this time. Me and my husband researched the place well before we started and prepare an itinerary where we are having new places to visit each day and having a treat each day too. I wanted to share my tips on how we can eat right when we are on vacation. It might help you the plan your trip wisely too.
- Tip1: Pack yourself some home-made snacks that you can keep handy while on the go. One can pack protein bars, ladoos, roasted peanuts, chane, gur chikki, dry fruits. Keep them in air tight (or zip locked) small packets so that if you are carrying a single bag, you can just carry one packet for each item in a day and not carry full container. While on long drives instead of buying anything from outside shop you can use these snacks for munching when on feel hungry or when you don’t find a good place to eat. This helps us in many ways. It saves time from breaks when you feel too hungry. It also gives body right nutrition on the go. You don’t really skip a meal this way as one tends to eat more by end of the day if they skip meal.
- Tip 2: Keep your body hydrated always. Usually one tends to ignore water when on vacation. Sometimes when you don’t carry your water bottle, sometimes because you don’t get water near by or for other multiple reasons. Make sure to leave for the day with sufficient water bottles with you. Do carry your own water bottle that one can refill on the go. So that you always have water available with you. This will keep your body active. Also, on vacations when we are in sun most of the time, our body needs more water. We tend to drink more beverages when we feel thirsty which in turn adds up the calories.
- Tip 3: Walking is your best friend. Do plan to wake up at such a time where you can just walk around the place you are staying. Or plan trekking in a day or visit places near by which you can reach by just walking. Walking is the best exercise when you are on vacation. It gives you good reason to properly look around areas where you are staying and also gives you less headache to watch for traffic.
- Tip 4: Have fruits and vegetables always on your platter when you are on vacation. One tends to eat more of junk while on vacation. Although if we look around, we always have fruits and salad section in buffet or you can order one if ala-carte. If we go outside also, we do see local fruits vendor on roads. Do eat some fruits and vegetables to body right nutrition which gets skipped on holidays, so that body gets right number of vitamins and fiber.
- Tip 5: Holidays can be stressful and people eat when they’re stressed. This year, at the beginning of the holiday season, make clear decisions about how you want to spend your time and resources. Think about what is most important to you and what you can give up. If you feel less frazzled, you won’t need as much comfort food.
- Tip 6: Eating opportunities and celebrations are all around us when we are vacationing, and we’re in the “I’m on VACATION!” mindset. That’s when we will be the most vulnerable to eating even if we aren’t hungry and not stopping when we are comfortable. Especially if you’re enjoying a buffet during the holidays. Take small portions and only eat the food you truly like. There’s no need to heap your plate full. You can always return for more.
- Tip 7: For some holidays means lot of alcohol, smoking and junk food. Alcohol dehydrates the body, disturbs the sleep pattern. Junk food too gives you too much sugar in one go and keep you in high energy even at nights. When you don’t get right sleep at night, you wake up late or feel lazy in morning, then the whole day seems to be task. Instead eat everything in moderation and eat only when you are hungry.
I hope above tips help you to plan you vacations wisely. Good planning always gives less stress. When you are on vacation, it doesn’t make sense to deprive yourself of an enjoyable food; the trick is carrying “moderation” in your back pocket.